Le Cellier Canadian Cheese Soup
*1/4 lb bacon finely chopped
*1 med red onion cut into ¼ pieces
*1/2 c finely sliced celery
*1/2 c finely chopped carrots
*3 tbs cornstarch (or flour but I recommend cornstarch for thickness)
*1.5 c whole milk
*1.5 c whipping cream
*2 c chicken stock
*12 oz grated white cheddar (I’ve used shredded regular cheddar, white is expensive and hard to find)
3 dashes tobacco
½ tsp worchestershire
½ c beer, room temperature
*salt and pepper to taste
*thinly chopped chives
1) Cook bacon in large soup pot over med heat until wilted but not browned
2) Add onions, celery and carrots and cook until onion is translucent and bacon has crisped (takes a while)
3) Sprinkle in cornstarch and stir constantly for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken stock, milk and whipping cream (stock first) a little at a time, blending well to ensure there are no lumps. I use a whisk. Bring to boil then cover and simmer 15 minutes.
4) Remove from heat and whisk in cheese tobacco, worchestershire and beer. Season with salt and pepper.
5) Optional: serve with bacon pieces, chives, shredded cheddar and/or bread.
Pretzel bread recipe available upon request
By Lucy Wolfe